Thursday, September 10, 2009

we'll never forget

wow. it's so hard to believe it has been 8 years since the attack on 9/11/01. i will never ever forget where i was on that day. i had just graduated high school a few months before. i had a part time job and was also going to jeff state. on that day, i was working at southtrust bank, the 2nd avenue branch, downtown. i had to work the drive in that day, which was actually downstairs in the parking garage, where people could drive thru or walk up to the teller (me.) i was basically in a very small room, all by myself. my sister called me and told me what was going on. i remember hearing about the first plane crashing into the towers. and customers were coming in from the streets talking about it. but at that time everyone was still like, woah, what is going on? was this an accident? all too soon it became clear that it was no accident, it was a planned attack. as the day went on, i remember how sad it was. i called my mom several times, and i knew she had been crying. i asked her did she know anyone who was hurt or killed. she said no, but she was just crying for all the innocents lives lost. later that day, and for several days afterwards, i found myself doing the same thing. crying. crying for those who didn't deserve to die. the children who lost parents that day. the parents who lost children. brothers, sisters, friends, family. so many lives were ended. just like that. i think that day will go down as one of the saddest days in history. i know for me, it is definitely the saddest thing i've ever lived through, as far as our country goes. little did we know the events that would follow 9/11... like this seemingly never ending war, which means more sadness and more lost lives. more people have been killed, fighting for our country, more than anyone probably would have imagined 8 years ago. i think it caught us all by surprise. but you know who wasn't surprised by any of it? GOD. he knew what was gonna happen. we still don't understand why it happened, but i think it makes it a little easier knowing it is all in his hands. unfortunately, i think the worst is yet to come. that is why it is so important to pray for our nation. the government, leaders, officials, and also the citizens of the U.S.A. pray also for the people who have lost loved ones fighting for our freedom. it is so easy to overlook the heros, and to focus on all the crazy people in this world. but look around you, and thank a hero. army or navy, police officer or firefighter, nurse or doctor, young or old, black or white, male or female. we owe our freedom to them. no matter what, we'll never forget.






2 chronicles 7:14 says "if my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."


2 comments:

Silena Cvacho said...

Wow Jamie!! You had me in tears- that was so beautiful!! Thanks for the reminder that nothing can shock God!! Sometimes I seem to forget that!!
I was pregnant with Will!! I remember thinking..."I am about to bring a baby into this world, this crazy, scary, mean world!" It was very hard!! I'm glad I did though, he makes the world a better place! :)
Love that verse too!! We'll be praying for our country with you!! Love ya, Silena

Meg said...

Great post!