Sunday, May 1, 2011

words are inadequate...

... to describe the emotions and feelings from seeing the devastation of the storms that struck alabama on april 27. seriously, i've tried to write this blog a hundred times since then. it's just so unbelievable. there's no way to make sense of it... why cities all around us were demolished, but the tornadoes passed right over us. i mean there we were, all hiding out in josh and shannon's basement, bracing for the storm. nate and i were there with the boys since we don't have a basement, along with mom, dad, nana, meme, gdaddy, and of course josh and shannon and their kids. we were as ready as we could be. we had everyone in the safest corner, 9 adults and 5 kids 5 and under, with mattresses surrounding us. and then, we prayed. for god to spare us. protect us. change the path of the storm. and as i sit here and type this, i am overwhelmed to say HE did all that we asked. as we watched james spann telling argo to take cover, the tornado suddenly broke up. it literally skipped right over us. not a bit of damage.


yep. that's how big my god is. there is no reason why this same huge tornado, that was seen 10 miles down the road in trussville, did not hit us. i mean, you just can't make sense of it. but we are so blessed. i stand amazed at god's goodness.

b/c that's just like god. he is so much bigger than this tornado. and his ways are not our ways. though we don't know why he allowed it to happen, we have to trust him. as we see the devastation all over alabama, it's hard not to wonder why? why were some places absolutely destroyed? and some spared? we don't know. but i do know we are incredibly blessed. so now is the time to step up. to be the hands and feet of christ. whether you buy water, snacks, and sunscreen for the volunteers, or give money or giftcards to victims, help with storm clean up efforts, clean out your closets and donate some of your own items, or just pray, do SOMETHING! don't sit back and wait on someone else to do it.

i am reminded of two scriptures...

the first is matthew 25:35-40...
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ 37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ "

the other one is luke 12:48. it says "from everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded. and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."


so in this time of heartbreak, confusion, questions and sadness, i hope you are comforted that god is still in control. and the arms that hold the universe are holing you tonite... i love this song and it is perfect for what our state is going through right now!




3 comments:

Shalita said...

INCREDIBLE POST! I could not have said it any better myself! You are speaking from the heart for so many of us that are just trying to grasp the concept of devastation...

BUT, Our God Reigns!!! What GREAT comfort to know that He is the same yesterday, today and FOREVER!!! He loves and cares for us so much!!! Any of us in doubt over what to do to help, just need to pray that God would show us exactly how He wants us to help our neighbors in need! He will lead and guide, we just have to obey and follow!

Holly-- The Storm Chaser said...

Very well put! So glad y'all are okay. It's all so sad. So so sad.

Silena Cvacho said...

Jamie, for inadequate words you sure made them moving and beautiful!! Exactly what I've been feeling in my heart! I am so glad you all are safe! I had such a great time with you on Easter! I really miss y'all so much!! Love ya!